Since 2021, Foresight has expanded its operations to work toward Indigenous health in Australia. By joining together local health organisations, visiting eyecare providers and philanthropic organisations the Foresight’s team is planning to enhance the eye-care available to the people of the Griffith district.
The project plans to achieve this by providing a sustainable high quality, comprehensive eye-care service, at no cost to those in need, based at Griffith Base Hospital (GrBH). Additionally, short-term help has been and continue to be provided with the current backlog of cases, with the assistance of St Vincent’s Private Community Hospital Griffith (STPCHG).
Key achievements to date
- Provision of high quality comprehensive Ophthalmic care to the people of Griffith and the Western Murrumbidgee Local Health District (MLHD) lead by Dr Geoffrey Painter and his team.
- Regular surgical and consulting visits occurring monthly for the long-term support of eye-care at Griffith Base Hospital and the Western Murrumbidgee Local Health District (MLHD).
- Training of local nurses to assist in the clinic will be a priority as well as upskilling of the GBH nurses in surgical skills and theatre efficiency
- Develop an outreach programme, with the support of and in collaboration with the Griffith Aboriginal Medical Service, to provide quality eye care to remote indigenous communities
- To educate and equip the Griffith Aboriginal Medical Service Health Workers with the techniques and equipment needed for screening for cataract, glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy, which are three of the leading causes of avoidable blindness in the MLHD. This would include both portable equipment for the Aboriginal Medical Service Health Workers as well as fixed equipment in the Griffith Aboriginal Medical Service.
- Provide short term assistance with waiting list reduction cataract surgery for the Western MLHD at Griffith Base Hospital.
- Regular surgical and consulting visits occurring monthly for the long-term support of eye-care at Griffith Base Hospital and the Western Murrumbidgee Local Health District.
- Further training opportunities will exist for other registrars, residents and GBH medical students